Thrumpton Primary Academy aims to support pupils with special educational needs by seeking to remove barriers to learning and participation, ensuring all pupils have access to an appropriate education that affords them the opportunity to achieve their personal potential.
The academy supports pupils in four main areas:
- communication and interaction
- cognition and learning
- behaviour, emotional and social development
- sensory and/or physical
We work collaboratively with outside agencies ensuring specialist advice and provision supports effective teaching and learning.
Our aims are:
- to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for every child
- to ensure learning activities are well planned, ensuring progress in long and short term planning
- to ensure that our provision offers help, support, and resources to give a child the opportunity to overcome his/her difficulties
- to make sure where possible our children are involved in decisions made about them and their education
- to involve parents in decisions and keep them informed about their children’s progress
- to prepare children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experience of adult life
- to develop in children a feeling of worth that they are valued members of our society and that they have equal opportunity to succeed
- to make sure that the arrangements made for children with special educational needs are in line with the requirements of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act
- to be aware that children with special educational needs may find learning more difficult than others and will face additional frustrations. They will require different strategies for teaching and learning
- to ensure that all staff involved with SEN children should work together in the best interests of the child and monitor and review progress, carefully, and regularly
What is the Local Offer?
The Children and Families Act require all local authorities to publish information about provision in their area for children and young people from 0-25 who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) – a Local Offer.
The SEND Local Offer in Nottinghamshire aims to provide you with the information you may need, or want to know, about resources, services, support, activities and events for Nottinghamshire’s children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families.